When you become me, you’ll understand why today is so significant.
You will remember today as the day we replaced the notion of dieting with the mission to simply eat real food.
I get goosebumps just thinking about the goosebumps you’ll get!Your Future Self
What is real food?
Real food is simple. Whole fruits, vegetables, meats, seafood, nuts, seeds, grains, and beans are all real food.
Real food is not complicated. It is not highly processed and doesn’t have long, complex ingredient lists and items you can’t pronounce or visualize easily.
Real food is NOT processed food.
So what’s processed food?
Processed food is…
- Mass produced
- Consistent batch to batch
- Consistent country to country
- Contains specialized ingredients from specialized companies
- Low in fiber
- Has to stay emulsified (so fat and water don’t separate)
- Has a long shelf-life or freezer life
Ultimately, processed food has too little:
- Omega-3 fatty acids
and… too much:
- Branched chain amino acids (leucine, isoleucine, valine)
- Omega-6 fatty acids (plant oils, polyunsaturates)
- Emulsifiers (polysorbate-80, carboxymethylcellulose)
- And the big kahuna, sugar!
8 simple things you can do today to improve your diet
- Increase your intake of real, natural fiber (not the kind that comes in a pill or jar)
- Eat nutrient-dense, real food rich in micronutrients
- Increase consumption of foods rich in Omega 3 Fatty Acids (fish, seeds, nuts and avocados)
- Reduce consumption of foods rich in Omega 6 Fatty Acids (vegetable oils, corn-fed animal products)
- Eliminate trans fat – the synthetic fat – that your body can’t metabolize for energy
- Restrict branch-chained amino acids (BCAAs) – found in abundance in corn-fed animals
- Avoid drinking your calories
- Eliminate or significantly reduce added sugar in your diet – more on that to come.
Connect with other participants in our forum. Tell us why you’re motivated to take the Real Food Challenge.